As an “official” Jeff Galloway blogger, I wanted to share some tips with you. I really need these, especially during the hot weather! How many of these injury risk habits are you guilty of? I’m sure I actually commit every single one!
Why do we get injured?
1. Be aware of irritation of weak links. The Key Weak Links are body parts where my runners tend to experience injuries are these: Knees – Feet -Calf – Achilles -Hip – Glute/piriformis/sciaticia
But the body parts that YOU need to be aware of are the sites where you are injured or suffer more aches and pains.
So if you’re sensitive to the first indication of irritation in these areas and take immediate action it’s possible to avoid injury.
2. Stress buildup due to the way we train.
• Training schedule is too intense-not enough rest between stress.
•Adverse Training Components-speed is too fast or has too much, too soon.
•Running form-too long a stride, forward lean, bouncing too high off the ground.
So staying focused on the way one runs and following these guidelines, can often allow runners to maintain a manageable increase without injury.
Top 5 ways to avoid stress buildup-and avoid injuries
1. Take walk breaks more frequently, and run shorter run segments
2. Form: shorter stride, feet low to the ground
3. Slower long runs, with more walk breaks
4. Avoid Stretching
5. Be careful when running speed sessions